Greetings valued Dan’s Movie report and Action-Flix.com readers. I had the opportunity to watch a very cool movie called ‘Redemption Day’. I wanted to know more so I sat down and chatted with Producer/Writer/Director Hicham Hajji . He chats about getting the film together and various inside stories behind the production. Let us take a trip to Morocco and enjoy the ride with Hicham.
1) Chat about how the idea for the plot of Redemption day materialized, did you do some research on archaeological sites? In my review, which I have also attached, I stress that much of this film, though fictionalized is plausible, I am curious if you have seen or heard accounts of things like this happening?
2) I saw that you also are listed as one of the film’s producers, I am curious with regards to the casting process, how much were you involved, and were the parts write specifically for the actors involved?
3) I really enjoy the work of Serinda Swan, chat about her audition and perhaps what ideas about her character she brought in.
4) Did you have time with the cast for table reads, for them to get familiar with each other?
5) Chat about working with legend Andy Garcia, I am curious if his part was written for him, and what ideas he brought to his character.
6) Chat about Serinda and Gary’s relationship in the film, felt so natural, did you have ideas how you wanted them to interact, or did they bring character ideas to you or a combination of both, if they brought things in, please let my readers know what ideas they shared about their characters.
7) With regards to directing, are you a specific detail oriented guy who likes to lay out everything, or do you thrive on the actors hired to bring ideas to the table?
8) I noticed that two other writers are listed in the IMDB credits for the film, I am curious how their involvement was, I have seen the movie, is there parts of the film they adjusted or added to it, or did all three of you collaborate in entirety?
9) Chat about the action, I felt it was more gritty and realistic, were you ever pressured by other EP or studio to add some more like stylized and explosions? Did you use military consultants for the flashback action?
10) Chat about securing locations to film, seems like most was shot on location, were there any issues with particular locations?
11) Chat about the final film, I feel that it told a dangerous, yet honest story, was there anything you though damn, I wish I could have added this in?
12) Perhaps share a funny behind the scenes story you have not told anyone about.
13) Chat about your upcoming projects, The Moderator and the Sand Sea? Can you shed a small tidbit about them.
14) Finally, chat about Morocco, I read that you were born there, curious how the average person view the English western culture, like the United States and England? I feel that film brings cultures closer together, allowing people to interact, perhaps share some of your thoughts.
Redemption Day opens in theaters this Friday January 8th and will be available to own on Digital and On Demand beginning January 12th from Saban Films.
John M Jerva is the owner and editor-in-chief of Action-Flix.com. He likes movies that explode, shoot, kick and punch and most importantly, he likes movies that do all the above!
View all posts by John M Jerva