EXCLUSIVE: Enter the Lady Samurai- A Conversation with ATOMIC EDEN Star Hazuki Kato!
By: John M Jerva
Women in action cinema have been well represented over the years with such femme fatales as Cynthia Rothrock and most recently Gal Gadot and Charlize Theron taking on the badest of the bad action cinema has to offer and now even more so as female centric action films are in demand featuring ladies who can kick ass and keep up with the men and even surpass them when it vomes time to throwdown. One such star is Hazuki Kato who features in the rousing 80’s throwback B action epic Atomic Eden which hails from East German filmmaker Nico Sentner. Kato is no stranger to the spotlight as she is much more than just an actress. Kato is also a professional model for fashion shows, magazines, music videos, and commercials. You can now add rising action star to the list as Kato is taking on Hollywood by storm.
Filmed a few years back, Atomic Eden is literally taking the world by storm as it rolls out on streaming services worldwide as well as DVD. The film is pute guilty pleasure action cinema at its finest and Kato stars in the movie as badass Samurai vixen Reiko, a female Samurai who is part of an elite unit of mercenaries on a deadly suicide mission to retrieve a weapon of mass destruction before it falls into the wrong hands. Starring alongside action icon Fred “The Hammer” Williamson and martial arts phenom Mike Moller. Kato plays just as rough as the boys and is featured heavily in the film’s numerous action set pieces.
In this exclusive interview with Action-Flix, Hazuki chats about the film, her lethal character Reiko, making the action sequences as well as working with some heavy duty tough action guys. Check it out below because the Lady Samurai has arrived!
1) Before we talk about Atomic Eden, tell us what prompted you to seek a career in acting? You’ve done so much and was it something you always wanted to do?
2) As a martial artist myself, talk about your path that led you to train in the arts. You’ve done numerous disciplines. Is there a favorite?
3) Atomic Eden is getting new life in the U.S. Tell us how you got involved with the project.
4) You play the bad ass role of Reiko the Samurai. Tell us about her. Did you mold her after yourself or is she a totally different interpretation to how you really are?
5) You worked with such great actors as Mike Moller, and the great Fred Williamson. Tell us how it was to be on set with them. Any cool anecdotes?
6) You get in on a lot of the action and stunts. How was it to perform such exhilarating scenes. What were some of the challenges? Is there a favorite scene you have?
7) Talk about working with director Nico Sentner. How was he to work with. He’s also an actor so did that help with the environment?
8) Talk about training for the film. What did you focus on and did it differ from what you normally do off a project?
9) Talk about the state of women in action films. Tough women like you have always been a big part of the industry but with the recent success of bigger budgeted projects, do you feel it’s going in the right direction?
10) Talk about the future. Are there any exciting projects you can talk to us about?
11) Finally, how has it been working during the pandemic? Talk about life on a set and what challenges have you faced?
A special thanks goes out to Hazuki for an amzing interview and taking the time to talk to us!