Exclusive Interview: Stunt Coordinator Travis Wong Talks Developing the Action for the New Martial Arts Thriller INSIGHT!
By: david j. moore
For a film like Insight (out March 12th from Gravitas Ventures), there are stunts and fight scenes galore, which means that there are always going to be stunt people and stunt coordinators and choreographers involved in every aspect of the fights and stunts. One of the unusual aspects to this film was that it had a collective total of 11 stunt coordinators and fight choreographers combined, for various aspects throughout the making of the movie. One of the stunt coordinators was Travis Wong, who was readily available for an interview during freelance film journalist david j. moore’s visit to the set of Insight.
A veteran of stunts in motion pictures and television shows for over a decade, Wong has quickly established himself as a dependable coordinator and stunt performer for projects like Django Unchained (2012), G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013), Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014), several of the Fast & Furious films, and many others in a relatively short amount of time. Wong has also been inducted in the Kung Fu Hall of Fame, and continues working in the multi-faceted world of stunts and martial arts.
1) Travis, you’ve done all sorts of projects in the action and martial arts world. You’re also in the Kung Fu Hall of Fame. What are you up to today in terms of your tasks on set for Insight?
2) As I understand it, this movie will have a variety of fight choreographers.
3) You’ve worked with a lot of actors in your line of work, but talk a little bit about working with Ken.
4) You mention integrity to fights. That has become lost these days. They’re training Matt Damon to fight. If you look at somebody like Ken or Scott Adkins, for example, you can see the integrity of the skills on screen.
5) Who do you think this movie will appeal most to?
Insight hits select theaters, Digital & VOD on March 12th from Gravitas Ventures